Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Better-than-Sex Cake

I belong to an organization that meets twice a month to discuss the ins and outs of parenting. We take turns bringing food to share and I have been asked to bring my Better-than-Sex cake to the next meeting. I didn't name the cake; nor will I comment on my opinion of its name. Just understand that the cake is incredibly easy ... and incredibly good. After eating it, you will need to find a way to burn the calories (eh hem!) :)

Better-than-Sex Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
1 tub Cool Whip or other whipped topping
1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed Heath bar or toffee bits

1. Bake chocolate cake according to box directions. Cool.
2. With the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake every inch to two inches. Pour caramel topping over top of the cake and allow to soak in.
3. Top with Cool Whip.
4. Sprinkle with crushed Heath bar. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Lessons learned: This recipe really is as easy as it sounds. I've also heard this called Better-than-Anything cake, but I prefer the other title (as long as children aren't around). Any chocolate cake mix will do: chocolate, devil's food, German chocolate, etc.
If you don't have caramel ice cream topping (I prefer Smuckers in the jar), you can use a small can of condensed milk for the same effect. One version of the recipe calls for BOTH the condensed milk AND the caramel topping. That's too much sweetness for me. Contrary to the belief of some, you can have too much of a good thing -- cake and other things.
You can buy Heath bar precrushed. It's next to the chocolate chips in the baking aisle. If you can't find a toffee bar or candy, just use crushed chocolate chips. The result won't be as good, but it'll be close.
This is a great throw-it-together dish for a dessert potluck if you're more interested in getting it done than impressing everyone with your culinary abilities. Regardless, people will ask for the recipe.

No comments: