Monday, April 5, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce

In my early years, mustard meant one of two things: Saturday morning weed pulling on the back hill or the nasty bright yellow stuff that ruins a perfectly good hotdog. As an adult, I have acquired a tolerated taste for mustard, but I prefer the more expensive crunchy, whole seed version to the French's stuff. However, I still refuse to put it on a hotdog.
Easter dinner this year included honey-baked ham. I had fond memories of a little restaurant in San Pedro, Calif., that served a delicious mustard-based sauce with its potatoes and salmon dish. I thought the sauce would work well with the ham. My online search came up empty, but I found a another recipe that sounded pretty good. Using my typical tweaks to compensate for missing ingredients, I threw this together in five minutes. The results were divine. My husband, who doesn't like mustard, wasn't a fan, but my daughter loved it. Here's my version of it.

Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce

2 tsp flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup cider vinegar

1. In small bowl, combine flour, sugar, mustard powder and tarragon.
2. In small saucepan, whisk together milk and egg yolk. Slowly whisk in the dry ingredients. Add vinegar.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.
4. Serve with ham, fish, summer sausage or chicken.

Substitution Suggestions: If you actually have tarragon vinegar, use that instead of the cider vinegar and dried tarragon. I liked the cider flavor.

Lessons Learned: The original recipe said the mixture would boil. I never got to that point. Perhaps it's because I eye-balled my ingredients and probably added too much flour. It thickened to the right consistency without so much as a single bubble. Regardless, it was delicious and I had more than enough for our small family. Note, this recipe is cut in half from the one I found online and is said to serve 8.
The sauce was spicier than I anticipated, but it was also very sweet. It reminds me of the sweet and spicy mustard that Hickory Farms sells, only it's a lot cheaper and goes together in five minutes.

No comments: