Monday, January 5, 2009

Strawberry Balsamic Chicken

I love those websites that allow you to punch in the ingredients you have on hand, then choose from a list of recipes with those ingredients. I once learned how to make a berry chicken dish (berry glaze over chicken) that was really good, so I thought I'd try something similar with just strawberries. I found a strawberry yogurt marinade, but since I didn't have strawberry yogurt nor did I want to wait 24 hours to let it marinade, I had to make do. Here's how it played out (measurements are anything but exact since I made this up):

Strawberry Balsamic Chicken
1 cup strawberries (I used the frozen kind)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (I used the good/expensive stuff from Williams Sonoma. YUM!)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup lemon lime or ginger ale soda (I suppose chicken stock or water would also work)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Saute small chicken breasts (I cut a really big piece into four smaller pieces) so that they are nicely browned. I brushed each piece with a little salt, lemon juice and olive oil before putting it on the hot pan to sear.
2. Whip marinade ingredients together in a blender, adding more liquid or sugar as necessary to thin it out and sweeten it up. Don't make it too watery, though. Heat to take off the chill. Pour over sauted chicken, then bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

It works well with pine nut/sun-dried tomato couscous on the side.
If you try it, let me know what you think.

No comments: